Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Zion National Park to St. George and a build day

Since our ride into St. George was only 40 miles we were given the okay to go on a morning hike. All but a few took advantage of that opportunity. Kristina, Emily and I weren't quite up for the strenuous 5 hr hike that most of the group was planning so we set out for a moderate 3 mile hike. We finished in just about an hour, 2 hrs less than the hike was predicted to take. We grabbed our stuff from the van and I ate a peanut butter and s'more sandwich. We headed out of the park and grabbed coffee and some second breakfast before killing it into St. George.

A group of us then headed to an awesome ice cream place called Sub Zero. They literally make the ice cream in front of you from real cream. You can make any flavor you want! I had a peanut butter chocolate mint milkshake with Heath bits. Nom.

Afterwards Emily and I headed to a nearby thrift store to get some items for our prom costume. I'll keep it a secret for now, but it's less than a week away and I am pretty excited!

I made a long trip to Barnes and Noble to use their wifi and then had a great dinner provided by our host. Last night a bunch of us went to see the movie Brave. I really enjoyed it and was extra impressed that I could even stay awake for the whole thing.

We worked with the local Habitat chapter today. Melissa was our contact and her bubbly personality was contagious. Jack, Nate, Kristina and I worked ripping up carpet for a woman named Betty. The intention was for it to be replaced along with some rotting deck boards underneath. Unfortunately we didn't have the right materials and couldn't finish the job. But Betty was so appreciative it made us feel so accomplished. Sadly, during the afternoon the glass window on a pickup truck cab bonked me hard in the head. I shed a few tears, took a few pills and all is well minus the large lump on my head.

An amazing potluck dinner wad had. We feasted. St. George has treated us well. And after a stretch of short riding days I am so not ready for the 92ish miles awaiting us in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment