Monday, July 16, 2012

North Rim to Fredonia

Because there is only one road in and out of the North Rim the first 43 miles of todays ride involved reversing our route from Jacob Lake to the rim. The good news is that is was mostly uphill to the rim, so it was mostly downhill on our way out. However, there was one "small" difference between our ride in and our ride out. This morning it was pouring.

It was already cold to begin with so I had all my warm layers on...but, during breakfast it started to rain. The temperature dropped even more, but we had no choice except to ride. Within the first 5 miles my body was confused as I started to sweat but was still cold. At this point the rain turned to a torrential downpour and the winds picked up. Miserable does not even begin to describe us. And describing my fingers as being numb would also be an understatement.

At mile 18 the Lube Monsters (Arden, David, Maggie, Steph and I) pulled into the gas station. Ben told us the lodge across the street served breakfast til 9 so we immediately headed over. I ordered an omelet and took off what I could of my warm clothes. I drank some hot chocolate, and after witnessing a few minor explosions ha a fire place to stand in front of to warm up. When we finished warming and decided to brave the cold it had been close to 2 hrs. We decided to pain train it to Jacob Lake for cookies. We left as only 4 because Arden had dipped; and crushed it the rest of the way to the lodge. Lunch was supposed to be at mile 30, but, because a few riders had so many flat tires Chika had to go back to give them tubes. Lunch got moved to the lodge at mile 43, but I opted for cookies and milk instead. An awesome choice.

The last 30 miles were pretty much entirely downhill. At the top of a 3 mile long hill I heard a loud pop and knew it was the patch on my tire exploding. We stopped so I could change it. And I am thankful it happened at the top of the hill, rather than halfway down.

Maggie also got a flat, but nothing major. And with the exception of a storm we spent the last 9 miles or so of our day outriding all was smooth sailing. A SUS '11 alum, Summer, brought us amazing burrito/taco salad dinner tonight as well as delicious cupcakes.

I am thankful for lots of things tonight. They include but are not limited to: we're not camping so we had a roof and electricity, we got to finally do laundry today, and we didn't have to make our own dinner.

Also. Forgot to mention. B&B does a prom near the end of every summer. Just a fun excuse to dress up and dance. Due to our awkward guy to girl ratio each guy is taking 2 girls and the theme is famous threesomes. Alex had apparently been trying for a few days to get a suntan that would spell out Prom Jessie? But since it had been overcast his plan had been foiled. Instead, he taped it in duct tape to his chest and at dinner last night jumped up on his chair, ripped open his shirt and asked me to prom. Of course I said yes. Now, all we have to do is pick our threesome. Some ideas others people have toyed with include Bill Clinton, Hillary and Monica L., JFK, Marilynn and Jackie O. We'll see where
It goes.

To tie up the evening there was an amazingly clear double rainbow and an amazing sunset as well. The morning started out rougher than rough. But, after a cookie and some dry clothes morale was high. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment