Monday, July 16, 2012

Jacob Lake to North Rim and a day off

The ride today was only 43 miles but it was one of the rougher rides I've had considering the distance. A group of us went to the lodge for coffee before the ride and afterwards we climbed almost immediately from 7900 ft to almost 8900 ft. I was out of breath most of the ride.

I rode with the coffee gang, or the caffeinated crew, Nate, Jack, Kristina, Emily, Bri and myself. We saw Busan and Marcus around mile 20 and joined them for a nap and a snack. I had a teensy problem when I woke up which was that I was seeing double. That continued for the rest of the ride which was a bit disconcerting. However, when we hit the park with 12 miles to ride the excitement took over and our speed increased.

We pulled into our campsite and headed to take the trail to the lodge. I enjoyed some elk chili and a hardcore nap. Since we were dinner crew we made pad thai a la Bike and Build, which actually turned out really well despite our lack of resources. Dark came around 830 or so and Arden, David and I were in our tent and
almost passed out by then. We crashed hard because we knew we were waking up super early to see the sunrise.

A bunch of us woke up around 500 to walk to a lookout point to see the sunrise. It was pretty spectacular. Then I immediately went back to bed and slept for a few more hours. David, Arden and I woke up, had some oatmeal and headed with Jay, Marta and Allison for a hike. We did a 3+ mile hike and the views were spectacular, though some parts of the trail were rough. We got back just before it stormed and I headed to the lodge with Jay to grab some lunch. While we were there it started hailing which was pretty nuts considering it's July.

After the crazy weather had stopped I headed back to the campsite and had a shower. Which after all the hiking I needed. Jay DM'd us dinner at the employee cafeteria which was an awesome break from cooking, and the food was tasty and plentiful. We went to bed early again and the weather was generally crummy and rainy.

Overall: Grand Canyon was pretty amazing. As expected. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment