Sunday, July 8, 2012

Teec Nos Pos to Kayenta

Today's ride was only 72 miles, and we had reason to hustle because after the ride we were going to shuttle to Monument Valley.

I set out with Kristin, Susan and Jay. We took a break at a gas station around mile 16, where I took a brief nap and pet a dog that came wandering by. I had another good nap at lunch after some leftover burnt mac and cheese. We headed back out and the views were gorgeous. Arizona is certainly living up to expectations and the red sand/soil is a great contrast to the sky. At mile 50 we took a break and took some pictures and enjoyed the scenery. We made it about 2 miles and heard what sounded like a gun shot. I freaked out a little bit and then looked down and noticed my tire had exploded. Luckily the van was passing by and I was able to get a tire good enough to get me to the host. We took a break at the top of a big hill and determined we might as well be biking across the country for narcolepsy because we can sleep anytime and anywhere. I almost fell asleep on the bike today. Rumble strips aren't just for cars we have discovered. The last 7 or so miles were a real struggle for Kristin and I, but for no real discernible reason. We stopped at McDonalds just before the host and had a "snack". I rushed to take a shower and then I jumped in the van to head to Monument Valley. The views were spectacular and we got to take a dirt road tour around part of the park.

As soon as we returned dinner crew had to start making dinner. We didn't eat til around 9:30. I am exhausted and plan to head to bed.

Fact: The state of Arizona does not participate in Daylight Savings, but the Navajo Nation does. We're currently in the Navajo nation, but also Arizona. None of us are really quite clear on what time it technically is.

No comments:

Post a Comment