Thursday, July 12, 2012

Page to Jacob Lake

Today was sort of nuts. It was an 80 mile ride, but we had to ascend from 4200 ft to 8000 ft. During the first twenty miles we ascended to 6000 ft. Then we enjoyed a nice 6% downgrade for the next few miles ad continued downhill for almost 15 miles. We arrived at lunch before the van so we picked out a prime location. By a few miles after lunch we were at 3500 ft of elevation. We stopped to see the Colorado River and then started our ascent. We gradually climbed to 5000 ft and then, just after second lunch,we began writing songs about the amazing cookies the lodge here was fabled to have, and then began our 12 mile climb at 6% grade.

I was huffing and puffing by the time we cleared the first switchback and Arden and David took a break so I could catch up. We took quite a few breaks, and pumped my back tire since the pressure was low. By our 3rd break I felt really lightheaded, dizzy, a lot like I might puke and my vision was sort of doubled. Davey was sitting on the ground and all of a sudden started to sing "Ain't no mountain high, ain't no valley low". It was pretty much exactly what I needed. We continued singing and I was ready to carry on. We stopped a lot more so I could catch my breath...and I appreciate more than they know that they stopped
to wait for me as many groups split up on the big hill.

We finally made it to the top. And the cookies were awesome. David and I shared a few and enjoyed some chocolate milk.

We're camping tonight and our chore group made a pretty good dinner of chicken Parma a la Bike and Build. Tomorrow we go to the North Rim. I'm pretty damn excited.

Tough day, but rewarding day.

No comments:

Post a Comment