Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Baker to Yermo

The ride was only around 60 miles but it started with breakfast and a mental breakdown. After only getting about 5 hrs of sleep the fact that I woke up with my sleeping bag so caddywhompus that the foot portion had my head in it and my feet were cold because they were at the head of my sleeping bag seemed like a condition I was unable to handle without shedding tears. So I had a good cry and headed out to attempt to face the day.

Around mile 11 David, Arden, and I stopped at a gas station. I bought a blue gatorade (referred to on our trip simply as blue) and a bag of beef jerky and unbeknownst to me it was exactly what I needed. Instant morale boost.

We made it to lunch and from there continued on the last 25 miles. We rode all but a few miles on the highway, which is legal in CA if it is the only road between two towns. We passed lots of cars ad they waited in line for an agricultural inspection which was a pretty cool feeling. The last few miles after we were forced by signage to exit the highway were on a poorly paved road as we headed to our host which was the bunkhouse of a ghost town.

We each had a bed and I took the opportunity to nard (nap hard) before dinner at the restaurant in the ghost town. Afterwards, Janet, our contact at the host took us to her house where many of us swam in the lake, some showered, and many played with the unexpected surprise...PUPPIES!!! There were 6 4 week old poodle puppies. They were absolutely precious and after a log few days of riding were exactly what we all needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment