Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Kayenta to Kaibeto

Today was a pretty short day, only 65 miles. I passed out hard last night and woke up late and rushed to get my bin out close to on time. We had breakfast and then most us headed to the McDonalds at the bottom of the hill to get coffee. Though the coffee helped I was still struggling, as was most of our crew this morning. We left McD rolling 6 deep with me, Jack, Hannah, Arden, David and Kristina. We happened upon the van around mile 6 and picked up Trisha. We split into 2 groups and David, Arden and I stuck together. We were getting our slow roll on up a hill and stopped for a photo op at the top. It was beautiful. The leaders have told us that the scenery is only going to et better. I'm not sure I believe it can, but I continue to be amazed. Trisha left us to join Meghan and Julie as they passed and we went back to being 6. Around mile 18, my tire, which had exploded yesterday, so I am currently running on a Gatorskin with a hole patched with athletic tape, rapist got a flat. The tape had gotten a hole. So, we patched it with some duct tape and a Cliff Gu wrapper that David had. We lost a few riders heading up a hill and once again got split into 2 groups. David, Arden and I stayed together and flew the last 8 or so miles to lunch. We stuck around for a while since we weren't in any sort of rush. We took a very short break with about 15 miles to go. I was dying, for whatever reason and would have loved to stop and have a snack but there was thunder an lightening behind us and storm clouds rolling in, so we kept it short and sweet and pressed on. It was here I noticed my tire was oozing. It occurred to me a bit later that the chocolate cherry Gu wrapper must still have some Gu in it.We took one more "break" for a photo op. We rode up a huge hill before we made our turn into the host. Whose address is on a street called "Paved Road". We were here by 2 and soon after were able to take showers and then a few of us headed over to the grocery store/post office/gas station. I was able to get some second lunch including a Coke, corn dog and a quarter pound of potato wedges. Nom.

Dinner was amazing. We had Navajo Tacos. You don't roll them or fold them but rather cut with a knife and fork as everything lays flat. Delicious!!! And very different from anything we have had so far. And, as dinner crew I was very thankful to have a break from cooking considering after tomorrow we camp for the next 3 days. So we will be doing lots of cooking.

Our ride tomorrow is only 37 miles, and all the locals have agreed it is mostly downhill. Which makes sense, we have about 1700 ft in elevation to lose. After that, however, our next 2 days of riding will bring us back to around 8,000 ft, so we have to enjoy it while it lasts. But...since our ride is so short we get to sleep in until 7 am! I have every intention of getting 8 consecutive hours of sleep tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment