Monday, July 2, 2012

Las Vegas to Santa Fe

The mileage today was only 66 but we were warned it would be hilly. We had 700 ft of elevation to gain. And we later learned that the "hills" we biked through were the southernmost portion of the Rockies. However, simply biking the miles and enjoying the scenery would be too easy. Instead, I got 4 flats...stripped the screw on my derailleur hanger, and other assorted and sundry problems. One of my flats was while I wad flying downhill at 45+ mph. It was pretty petrifying because i started to swerve and lose control of my bike as I tried to brake. We were riding on the shoulder of the interstate, which is actually legal and confirmed by signs. However, I was afraid my swerving might put me in a lane of traffic, but fortunately it did not. I was pretty frustrated coming into the city and it didn't help that the cue sheet directions included a few extra turns leaving us confused.

I was in a pretty foul mood til after I had been fed real food. There is a bike shop nearby and I am hopeful that they'll be able to help me. Our build tomorrow involves cleaning a river since the Habitat chapter here is closed Mondays and refused to make an exception. However, it does give us the morning free since were not starting til 12.

1 comment:

  1. Really, closed on Mondays and with all those volunteers wouldn't make an exception? Mr. Carter may hear of this the next time he asks for my yearly donation.
    Glad you are safe - my God - that must have been scary downhill on the interstate with little to no control. So glad you made it out ok. Hope you could enjoy your free morning and don't run into too many critters in the river.

    ReplyDelete