Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Dallas to Decatur

Today's 93ish miles were surprisingly delightful. After a rough and achy first 10 miles Chika, Emily, Arden, Alex and I got into the swing of things and after a stop at mile 25 crushed it to first lunch at mile 36. We ate, with our hands, because our silverware was forgotten at a host an LA. So pasta salad was eaten on lettuce, sandwiches, or with bare hands. Alex had one flat, but the ride to second lunch at mile 72 was a smooth one. Alex, before we left, unknowingly urinated right in front of a security camera. Just further proving B&B is not real life. We made a smart move and daringly rode on a section of closed road that had been recently paved. It was as smooth as a baby's bottom and it almost made me forget the rough roads of east Texas.

Our group was the first to make it to the host. Arden and I managed to snag a room with big fluffy pillows in it and I have every intention of going to bed early.

But, before I end this I wanted to reflect a little on my time on B&B so far.
-I have only 3 or so shirts and yet that is not at all a problem. So why do I need so many clothes in real life.
-I lose things in my 20 gallon bin, it's a miracle I can find anything in a whole room of stuff.
-we never have a whole day where everything goes as planned. It always ends up alright...but why do I spend time in the real world getting bent out of shape when things go wrong.
-in the last month I've watched maybe a half hour of tv. Why do I ever waste a whole day doing that at home.
-these 27 people are all awesome. We all have our similarities and differences...but everyone has something in common. The real world cant possibly be any different.

My life here is so simple. Not to say I leave things to chance, but 99% of the days happenings are out of my control. And the only thing I know in advance is that i will be biking some number of miles from some place to another place and at some point during the middle of that I will be fed. It's strangely liberating.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love your reflections! We should all take note. Thanks for sharing and keep pedaling! (Nate's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post... also enjoyed reading your list of things you have learned while on the road. -- tara bremer (marc's sister)

    ReplyDelete