Friday, June 29, 2012

Clayton to Mosquero

Today's ride was 88 miles and we knew it would be hot and the winds would be against us, so we all agreed to wake up at 4 am and leave by 6. David and I set out just after 6, and by mile 6 I had a flat tire. I changed it and we headed on. The roads today were all very deserted so we were able to ride double file all day. By mile 15 I had flat number 2. David wasn't feeling well and luckily I think he appreciated being able to take a break. We made it to the halfway mark of our trip at mile 28 today. There was some awesome chalking and we all just generally danced around and celebrated having biked 2000 miles!!!

We made it to first lunch around mile 38 and enjoyed some shade and a sandwich. I, for the first time on the trip, went to the bathroom outside. I was applauded for upon my successful return. We left lunch and I immediately noticed my tire looked low on air. Rather than turn around we plodded on and decided to pump it up since it was a slow leak. The air held for another 3 miles and we stopped again. I pumped it once more in hopes we could find shade to stop under to change it. We didn't find hade unfortunately but I worked quickly so as to minimize our time off the bike. I got one more flat, bringing the days total to 4. And my trip total to 34. Luckily we should hit a bike shop soon. By this point the going was slow. David still didn't feel well, and the heat certainly wasn't doing anything to help. Honestly, I didn't mind our pace...it gave me a chance to really appreciate the views and even snatch some pictures. We came upon an opportunely placed "town" which included one church, 2 houses and lots and lots of cows. We did find an abandoned structure with some good shade and stopped for a snack. Chika came them with the van and water to refill our packs which was much appreciated. We made our way to second lunch @ mile 70 and enjoyed food and shade. The last 20 miles after second lunch were rough. The heat had gotten worse, all of my water and Gatorade was just a few degrees below scalding and the headwinds picked up. We knew we had a huge ascent ahead of us. Unfortunately we saw it about 5 miles before we got to it, so we had plenty of time to be apprehensive.

The climb was over 2.5 miles and our leaders tell us that we gained about 1000 ft of elevation in that time. The switchbacks and steep grade kept us from going more than 6 mph. The views were spectacular and I wish I could have taken a picture. But I knew if I stopped I would never get started again. We finally made it to the top and I haven't felt that proud or accomplished in a while. David was a little worse for the wear after the climb so we took one more break under the shade of some clouds. Today's method was slow and steady with an emphasis on the slow.

It really sucks to know that one of your teammates isn't feeling well. And harder to know that you can't do much to help them. Impressive that they stick it out and ride the miles but rough at the same time. But. We made it. To air conditioning, showers, naps, and dinner. No cell phone service since leaving Clayton...but we do have wifi. Go figure. So Mom and Dad, I'm safe. :)

100+ mile day tomorrow. With the next civilization being the town we end in tomorrow. Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment