Saturday, June 16, 2012

Carthage to Athens

Today's ride was 91 miles to Athens, TX. We knew that temperatures were going to be hot so we woke up at 4:30 a.m. in order to be on the road as early as possible. David and I finally made it on the road around 6:30 a.m. and neither of us were on our game. We knew the route would be hilly but I don't think either of us quite expected the extent of the hills. We saw a rainbow and grabbed coffee around mile 20 and we were back on top of our flow. We  cruised into first lunch around mile 43 and finished and headed back out on the road all before 11 am. We knew second lunch due to the heat and miles would be around mile 70, but David and I, despite the large rolling hills and the rough shoulder conditions made it there before the van and decided to forge ahead knowing we had plenty of snacks and water. We hit a dangerous stretch of road around mile 75 and around mile 82 had a close call with a truck. We made it to the host by 3 only to find that we couldn't get inside until 5. So we headed to the local Mexican restaurant and had a second lunch before heading back to the church. After dinner we split up to go to different homes. Justine and I had were paired together. So we were able to shower, try some homemade peach tart and will even have a real bed to sleep in tonight. I had a real towel to use after my shower, and reliable internet access. It's really the little things that can make or break a day. Tomorrow we head to Dallas where we'll build for 2 days and get a chance to rest our rear ends. Tomorow will also ebe our 8th day in a row of riding and I think I speak for everyone when I say we need a break.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you remember me or not but I stumbled on your site while looking up you guys. I am the guy that dropped the tri bike while at the gas station while talking to your crew. Glad you made it through east texas alive and survived the hills. I think it is great what your group is doing. phillipstanley7223@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete