Saturday, April 28, 2012

Playing Spent & the Grand Canyon

I've unofficially deemed the summer of 2012 as "The Bucket List Summer". Biking across the country was on my bucket list, as is visit all 50 states (this summer's trip will bring me 5 states closer), & visit the Grand Canyon. I'm sure a few more bucket list items will be crossed off as well. Along with another one I KNOW will be crossed off...but I'll wait to share that one for a few more weeks. :)

Now, to the Grand Canyon! My source tells me we'll be camping here. Which, through my research, seems likely. How cool is that!?

The Grand Canyon is 1 of the 7 wonders of the world and was formed by the Colorado River (millions of years ago!!!). It measures 277 miles long, and at some points has a depth of over 1 mile deep.



We will be visiting the North Rim. It is lesser visited than the South Rim, mostly due to its remote location and lack of access roads. Highway 67, the only road leading to the North Rim, begins in Jacob's Lake, but due to heavy snowfalls is often only open between the months of May & October.

 Temperatures at the North Rim vary greatly. High's for the day well above 80 degrees, with evening low's sometimes below freezing, even during summer months. I have to remind myself of this when I question why the packing guide says to bring long sleeved biking gear & clothing.

So...I found a pretty cool website when I was doing AH research. So many Americans are unable to put themselves in the shoes of those living on minimum wage, or a wage only slightly above. This website briefly runs the "player" through a simulation about just a few of the choices you might make as a person living on close to minimum wage. The simulation only takes about 5 minutes, but it was a real eye opener. To visit & "play" just click here.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment