Sunday, April 15, 2012

32 days 'til SUS '12!

So much to do, so little time. Only 32 days 'til SUS '12 & I'm finally starting to panic. Not just because of B&B stuff, which I still don't know how I'll get everything done before I leave, but all the other things I have to do in the time before B&B starts. Pack up my life & take it back to KY for the summer, until I move it all back to PA in August, graduate, finish riding my 500 miles, research and do a project on affordable housing, complete more sweat equity hours with an affordable housing organization, get a physical done (sure hope I get cleared for B&B) and last but never least finish fundraising $4,500. I'm tired just thinking about it all.

I did at least get closer towards one of the things I need to do this weekend, I managed to get some more miles in. Saturday morning I spent cleaning up the Hill District with part of a group from Duquesne and a project called Spring Clean-Up. It was really great to talk with some community members. There have recently been a few Habitat houses built there and they're trying to work with Habitat and other organizations to continue this trend.

I got home from Spring Clean-Up & found a great surprise. I ordered a 2011 Bike & Build jersey so I can get some miles in with it, since I'll be wearing a B&B jersey every ride day of the summer. I also ordered a B&B t-shirt which came as well. :)



Unfortunately, all the bright sunny warm hours for the day occurred while I was busy cleaning up the Hill. Which left me to ride in the rain. I was committed to riding either way, and it is even recommended by B&B that we ride at least once in the rain before we start the summer because chances that we'll have bright sunny weather all the way to California is slim (Hey, a girl can dream, right?) While at first the rain was refreshing and kept me from getting too hot, I changed my tune about 3 miles in when the rain picked up and it actually started to hurt. Combine that with everything from the trail/road sticking to my legs, shammys, arms, etc. Things went downhill quickly and turned downright miserable. So, a quick 15 and I called it a day, as temperatures were dropping and the sky getting darker. No pictures as it was raining pretty hard, but I did managed to convince my roommate to take these two before I left the house. This is what I'll wear pretty much every day this summer. And I'm rockin' it! :)

Meant to get up early before work this morning and go for a longer ride. But, when I woke up I saw nothing but grey skies and decided sleep was a better idea. Luckily, when I got off it was still light & the sky was bright and sunny. So I headed out, avoiding some of the sections of trail I knew would be muddy and gross after yesterdays rains. Got 20 miles in, to round out the weekend at 35 miles.

20 miles today + 15 miles yesterday + 207 miles completed = 242 miles / 500, 258 left to ride.

3 comments:

  1. Looking good stud!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing Jessie, How you do it all - oh, I nearly forgot - you have youth on your side! Enjoy every minute of it! You go Girl!

    ReplyDelete