Sunday, April 8, 2012

A few more miles & wrapping up Texas

Just did a short ride today, 7 miles, rode up to the park to meet my Mom, Dad, Aunt & Uncle who were walking the dogs and trying to work off some of lunch. Surprisingly my rear end wasn't sore at all, even though it certainly was at the end of my ride yesterday. I take that as a good sign. Great weather, but after all I ate in celebration of Easter 7 miles was really about all I was in the mood for. I mostly wanted to head home for a second nap.

3 donations today bring my fundraising total to $3145. The spaghetti dinner fundraiser, as I mentioned previously, is coming up on Wednesday which I hope will help raise a nice chunk of my remaining $1400. & don't forget I have t-shirts available for sale & they're only $15.

So, now it's time to explore a few more cities & wrap up Texas.

Memphis, TX
  • The population of Memphis as of 2010 was only about 300 greater than the cities population 100 years prior in 1910.
  • Memphis is home to the Annual Traditional Bowhunters 3D target competition.
  • The median income for a household is $23,102, and the per capita income just $13,856.
Amarillo, TX
Cadillac Ranch
  • The city of Amarillo is located in two counties, and the Amarillo metropolitan area population extends into 4 different counties.
  • Amarillo is the self proclaimed helium capital of the world, and has one of the country's most productive helium fields. (Anyone know what on earth a helium field is?)
  • Amarillo is home to a place known as the Big Texan Steak Ranch. Their challenge has been featured on many Food Network and Travel Network shows. Known as the Texas King, The steak is free to anyone who, in one hour or less, can eat the entire meal, consisting of the steak itself, plus bread roll with butter, baked potato, ranch beans, shrimp cocktail, and salad; otherwise, the meal costs $72.00.
  • Amarillo is also home to another attraction known as Cadillac Ranch. Cadillac Ranch is a public art installation consisting of old partially buried Cadillac cars. They are covered in graffiti and decorating them is encouraged. I know last years SUS group made a visit to leave their mark on the cars & I can't wait to do the same.
Dalhart, TX
Empty Saddle Monument
  • Dalhart is known as the gateway to the Rockies.
  • Dalhart is also closer to 6 other state capitals than Austin, the state capital of TX. It's closer to the capitals of NM, OK, CO, WY, KS, NE.
  • Dalhart is known as the XIT city. The XIT ranch was traded in exchange for the construction of the Texas State Capital
7 miles today + 200 miles completed = 207 miles / 500, 293 left to ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment