Thursday, April 26, 2012

21 days 'til SUS '12 & cruisin'

 The weather was great yesterday. I cranked out 2 finals, finished a take home exam, and officially finished all the school work I'll have as an undergrad. I must admit, it's a very weird feeling. Graduation isn't until May 5th, so in the meantime I'm just hanging, biking, running & packing.

Rode a quick 26 miles yesterday, I got my bike computer hooked up yesterday. It's really nice to be able to see how fast I'm riding and how far I've ridden so far. I was able to play around with the gears and figure out where I was the most efficient speed wise. I was really surprised. I didn't ride much slower than 15 mph the whole ride! &, when I was really cruising down Forbes Avenue at the end of my ride I got up to 22.3 mph for a hot second!!! Please, at this rate I'll have biked to California in no time. Hahaha.

26 miles yesterday + 257 miles completed = 283 miles / 500, 217 left to ride.

Also made a run to Target last night to get my bin. To pack in for the summer as I may have mentioned we get 4,500 cubic centimeters.  That's essentially a bin sized between 18 & 20 gallons. Don't tell anyone...but I got a 20 gallon. It came in a way cooler color.
So...meet my bin. I imagine it won't be long before it is covered in stickers & other such nonsense. I'm going to start packing it today...at least with the stuff I have already to get a better idea of how much space I'm really working with. 20 gallons seemed like a lot more in my head.

Page, AZ
  • The city of Page has only been around since 1957. It was created to house workers and their families during construction of the Glen Canyon Dam.
  • The land for the city was acquired through a land exchange with the Navajo Nation.
  • After completion of the damn the population continued to grow due to tourism. Page is considered the gateway to the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.
  • Several movies have been filmed here, including Into the Wild and the most recent Planet of the Apes, as well as the one filmed in 1968.
Jacob Lake, AZ
  • Known as the Gateway to the Grand Canyon, because it is the starting point for the only paved road that leads to the North Rim.
  • The small community (which is actually unincorporated) is a part of the Kaibab National Forest.
  • The area is known to be home to mule deer, coyotes, porcupines, bobcats, horned lizards, and mountain lions.
  • Due to it's elevation June, July & August are the only months in which the area does not get any snow.
&...the next post will feature the NORTH RIM of the GRAND CANYON!!! Where we'll be camping & get a day off to explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment