Monday, May 28, 2012

Defuniak Springs to Pensacola

Today was just a serious CF of issues. Less than 20 miles into the ride I got a serious flat tire on the bumpiest of roads. We had been going up and down some serious rolling hills which I was not in the mood for. Luckily Steph was with me and we got it changed decently quickly. We had to stop again quickly after to adjust my breaks and sweep caught up. Next we hit a section of road near the airport and the roads were full of crazy Memorial Day traffic. I felt unsafe for the first time on the trip and soon after we made a turn onto a one lane road an RV came within an inch of Steph who was riding in front of me. Jack was in between the two of us and caught his wheel on the derailleur of her bike and broke it. Thankfully no one was hurt but all of our nerves were thoroughly shaken. Rocked some hot dog buns with cream cheese salsa vegetables and sausage patties for lunch. Breakfast this morning was awesome as well. We had pancakes and bagels, English muffins, eggs and sausage. It was wonderful. I thought the day would never end. I got my second flat of the day for no rhyme or reason and we battled headwinds that made us struggle to go 10 mph. Jack Steph and I stopped to see the beach after a second water drop where Steph and I DM some free slushies to put in our waterbottles. We got some free cake and killed it. The decision to dip my feet in the ocean was definitely a good one, but getting back on my bike was one of the hardest things I ever did. We finally, after a few wrong turns made it to the church and had dinner and showered. I'm exhausted and tomorrow is our first century ride and state crossing into Alabama. Roll Tide!

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about you daily and love reading this blog. Sounds like you are with a great group. Enjoy the experience. Just watch out for those crazy drivers!
    Love,
    Mrs. Pogue

    ReplyDelete