Saturday, May 26, 2012

Apalachicola to Panama City and a Build Day

Today was shorter mileage, we only had 60 miles to ride but it the weather was rough. Kristin and I were sweep, which means we were the two riders designated to carry extra supplies and also stay behind all of the riders. The idea is not only that the sweep riders will have necessary supplies to help riders who may need help but also that once the sweep riders make it to the host the leaders know all the other riders are in safely. However, this makes for a very long day of biking. The day started off well and we were able to ride side by side and chat. We caught up to another group and stuck with them. We stopped at a Goodwill to get some dun outfits to wear for Memorial Day. As we got close to lunch I heard my phone ringing and wanted to pull off to answer it. But the communication didn't reach the back of our line in time and two of our riders ran into one another and crashed. It was scary because Marta fell into the road. Thankfully no cars were coming and we were able to patch her up. By the time we made it to lunch it was 97 degrees and I was tired, cranky and hungry. Not to mention hot. After waiting around for everyone else to leave lunch it was after 1. We didn't get to the host til almost 4 and I was in serious need of water and snacks. We had some delicious pasta for dinner and i was back to my normal self. We ended the night with some margaritas and since we had crossed into CST we got a pseudo extra hour of sleep.

This morning we biked to our build site, but due to temperatures and lack of work we only worked til around noon. Most of our group laid sod while I was inside installing a sink as well as countertops and touching up some baseboard paint. After some lunch most of our group headed over to Panama City Beach while I opted to head to the bike shop, catch up on some blogging and take a shower without a line of people waiting behind me.

Tomorrow we head to De Funiak Springs. I must confess it felt really nice not to have to pack my bin up this morning. But I'll have to get organized tonight because I'll have to pack it all up in the morning. Our chore groups switched today so now instead if setting up breakfast and doing laundry my group loads all the bins in to the our trailer Ms. SUSie.

Also. Our next mail drop address is posted so don't forget to send me some love.

General Delivery
Attn: Bike and Build
*Jessie Modrall*
250 St.Joseph St.
Mobile, AL 36601

2 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you Jessie!
    What form of "love" would you be hoping for when you get to Mobile? Let me know for sure!

    Will you be riding through Orange Beach/Gulf Shores?
    An awesome place to vacation!

    My favorite author lives in that area I'd tell him to "watch out" for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frances,
    Letters are awesome, as are things we can eat. Anything we can cover with peanut butter or nuttela is awesome as those are the only constants in our lives besides one another. Don't think we'll be riding through there, Pensacola is next and then on to Mobile. But I have been to Gulf Shores and it's beautiful!

    -Jessie

    ReplyDelete